Monday, September 1, 2008

Our new addition to the flock!

Our hen Cocoa tried to set on about 16 eggs under the shed. (It's a funny story actually how we thought she'd come up missing, the kids are crying, then Dad finds her under the shed in the dark finally... we think she's dead, then she moves, we think she needs rescuing, Dad cuts a hole in the bottom of the shed for the panicking kids and we discover all these eggs... now everyone's happy we're going to have a ton of chicks!!) She only hatched one chick in the end, but it's been so fun to watch this happen naturally. It's amazing Cocoa knows what to do and to watch her clucking and talking to the chick and protecting her from the other chickens. So fun! Lots less work for me too than raising them in a box in the house.
Trey wants to call this chick "Killer". I think she looks to sweet for that, but whatever.
Now Cocoa takes her out in the garden to find bugs all day, but still sleeps with the chick under her under the shed away from the other chickens. Cocoa looks pretty rough with her feathers all broken after sitting under there for 21 days straight. They hardly eat like they're hibernating while they're setting. It was a fun learning experience for us. Good job Cocoa!

4 comments:

Will Radford said...

Im just so proud of Cocoa. I think we could learn a lot from that chicken.

melanie said...

I just love that little Cocoa, I feel like I could eat her. J/K Always fun to have a new baby in the family.

Becky Workman said...

Congratulations Cocoa!! That is so fun!! I wish I could see them.

steph said...

wow, I'm so surprised someone looked at this blog after no postings for so long!